Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dining Room Table Finished!






I'm so excited that I'm finally finished with my dining room table. Unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture, but if you can use your imagination it was the same color as my chairs. Plain natural pine.
I used a brand called Minwax that I found at Lowes to stain this table.
I had to sand, and sand, and sand some more between coats.
The only tip I can give is to start with the coarser grit of sandpaper and to finish with a super fine sandpaper. Then before staining I used a product called Tact Clothe, it helps wipe all the dust before staining.
I did this until desired color up until the final finest grade of sand paper between coats of Minwax stain.. The color I used was Red Mahogany.
Now I do not know what to do with my chairs? I kind of actually like the contrast. I was planning on staining them to match, and re-upholstering the fabric on the chairs. I just noticed a scratch from sanding....ugggg, some old english never hurts!
What do you think I should do with the chairs?

4 comments:

  1. Gina, your table turned out just beautiful girl...you can see all the love and hard work you put into it..You have a fun blog girl..I added you to my follow list...Hope you have a GREAT day...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, they make my day so much better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina - The table looks fab!

    You might be able to save yourself some elbow grease on the chairs. I don't know if you are familiar with Howard's Restor-a-Finish or not but it would be worth a try on your chairs. It is as easy to use as simply washing them down. It comes in several wood finishes (oak, walnut, etc.). Definitely worth a try. You could test it on the underside of a chair to see if you like. It will take several applications to get the color that you want but all you need is a rag (or old sock!) to rub it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks!

    I did buy a refinishing product that is pretty old. I have to go look! I have to be honest because the chairs have so many chizels on them it makes me nervous about sanding.

    ReplyDelete